Wed, Feb 10|
WEBINAR CE: Cancer Patient Management & The Hesitant Dental Team
with Drs. Zia Poonja & David Yang | 3.0 CE Hours
Time & Location
Feb 10, 2021, 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. PST
About the Event
You must register to receive the Zoom link which will be sent one day prior. Please register EARLY with the email address you'd like the link sent to. Thank you!
- Identify the relevant cancer history, even when not disclosed by the patient
- Manage patients with a bisphosphonate history with current practice standards
- The dos and don'ts with radiation therapy
- My patient is about to start chemo, what is my role as their dentist?
- I think my patient has jaw necrosis, what do I do next?
- Review the basic therapeutic components of cancer care with reference to the relevant points for the dental team
- Review optimal timings of appointments for patients undergoing treatment
- Understand the major side effects of cancer treatment and their dental relevance
- Discuss the rationale for bone strengthening agents in cancer care
- Discus cancer prevention strategies from the dental chair
Bio – YANG
David is the Provincial Practice Leader in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for BC Cancer. He overseas oral surgical care for approximately 500 cancer patients yearly, many of whom present with unique oral issues associated with radiation, chemotherapy & tumor resection. He is involved in clinical research, and is a co-author for the Oral Care Manual for the Cancer Patient.
Bio – POONJA
Dr. Zia Poonja is Medical Oncologist at the BC Cancer – Vancouver Island Center. He is the site team leader for lung tumour group and in addition to lung cancer also treats breast and oropharyngeal cancers. In addition to a busy clinical practice he is involved with clinical research as well as medical education. He is currently a Clinical Instructor with the UBC Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Poonja completed his internal medicine residency at the University of Alberta and his medical oncology fellowship at the University of British Columbia.
Thank you to our Co-Sponsors:
Garfield Refining - Daniel Chan
RBC - Mickael Schmitt
Register here if you have paid your 2020-2021 VDDS membership fee (all programs are included with your membership).
Non-VDDS Member Dentist